Although Medicare is a great asset for the aging population and for those with disabilities, it often is not enough to cover all of their medical expenses. While routine doctor visits and occasional hospitalizations are covered under Parts A and B, certain specialized treatments like podiatry care, chiropractic services and ambulance transportation are not.
In response to this need, private insurance companies in Memphis and throughout the country offer extended plans called Medicare Supplemental Insurance, sometimes called a Medigap policy, to help fill in those gaps in coverage.
While Medicare can and often does pay up to 80 percent of a patient’s medical expenses, the remaining 20 percent can still be a tremendous financial burden. Even routine doctor visits can add up over time, especially for those with chronic ailments like diabetes and high blood pressure who need frequent treatment. With Medigap, the patient typically won’t be responsible for any co-payments after seeing a doctor. However, it should be noted that Medicare Supplements do carry a heavier premium due to this benefit.
Medicare Supplements are also great for patients who are frequently away from their local hospital and doctors, as they operate network free, meaning patients can utilize any care center without worrying about penalties or extra fees.